8/05/2015

Plain Jane Wins Again {Simplicity 2154}

Pattern: Simplicity 2154
Version: D - the skirt
Sizing: 14
Fabric: 1 yrd
Notions: interfacing; invisible zipper
Instructions: fine
Modifications: moved zipper to back center; shorten five inches
Recommend: it's my favorite straight skirt pattern

Lately, I have been working on a coordinating separates set which pieces can be intermixed.  I bought five yards of navy blue wool suiting and immediately cut Vogue 9013, finishing and posting about the tulip skirt not long ago.  I also cut Vogue 8886 to make the pants and shirt, which I should finish shortly.  After those patterns were cut, I had a little under a yard left and knew I should make Simplicity 2154.

Simplicity 2154 is my favorite straight skirt pattern to date.  I've made a few other designs here and there, but always fall back to comparing them to the double pleats and fit of this retro inspired bottom.  The skirt works in both wool, as evident by my plaid version, and a thicker fabric such as brocade.  For this version, a center back invisible zipper was installed and the length shortened. To go along with this skirt, and the other coordinating pieces, the shirt from Simplicity 2154 was added to the set as well as a red Lisette jacket from Simplicity 1419.

No comments:

Post a Comment