2/18/2015

Black Bodice {McCall's 2818}

Pattern:  McCall's 2818
Version:  closest to A with no sleeves and round neck
Sizing:  14
Fabric:  ponte
Notions: invisible zipper; self-made bias tape
Instructions:   oops, didn't use
Modification:  no buttons; took-in back seam
Recommend:  yes

As soon as I ordered the fabric for my next post (hint:  think cosmos), I needed (that may be an exaggeration) a simple, close-fitting, tank to complete the outfit.  Knowing exactly what style the skirt (another hint) called for, I set about mimicking the bodice I made out of extra brocade fabric


This version is made from ponte and for the most part, is constructed exactly the same as the brocade version EXCEPT for allowing more ease.  I wanted a little extra room, so I cut the size 14 and adjusted the center back by 1.25 inches on each panel.  This eliminates the extra fabric used to create the button placket.  Instead of the buttons, an invisible zipper was used for comfort. 


This shirt is a quick make, taking only about three hours even when hand-sewing the binding in place.  I did notice a few missing pattern markings on the pieces I was fitting together, but regardless everything fits together nicely.  This pattern is nice because lines are drawn for different body types, such as wider hips and a smaller bust.   However, there are many pieces that are marked with the same number and a number of element options, so it can be very confusing.  I will make this again.  There are too many options not to and it is E-A-S-Y.

2 comments:

  1. This skirt is gorgeous! So's your doodle dress! You sew such beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. Over the last week, I have had three sewing fails in a row, so it is very much needed. I'm now working on fixing my mistakes. One project (another http://solittletimecrafts.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-3-hour-dress-simplicity-2245.html), I have to redo completely, including buying the fabric. Ahh, sewing is such an adventure.

      Delete