2/02/2013

Pep to My Lum My Darling {Simplicity 1699}

Pattern: Simplicity 1699
Version: view B
Sizing: 12 (best guess a size 6 in RTW)
Fabric: wool tricotine roughly 1 yrd with linen collar
Notions: 22” invisible zipper; hook and eye
Cost: spare fabric from a project coming soon
Assembly time: 4 hrs
Instructions: very well
Modification: none
Recommend: oh, yes. I do like this shirt very much.

Blog post are usually put in queue as items are made, but I had to move Simplicity 1699 to the present week because I am so thrilled with the peplum top and it made its debut this last month. If I had to describe my style with one garment, it would be this shirt. The high neck indicates modesty, but the princess seams result in a womanly garment. The skirt hides the stomach and highlights the smallest part of the body. I am a bit more pleased with the sleeve caps than I thought I would be because they fall in a flattering location.


It was by chance that the fabric color for this shirt is similar to the pattern portrait. Originally, the fabric for this shirt was going to serve merely as a test, but it soon changed when I discovered that the size I picked was correct. I had reservations but chose the size 12 based on the ease measurement of 37.5 inches at the bust and 29 inches at the waist. To me, the pattern seems to run small. If you frequently make bust adjustments, I recommend sizing up and creating a muslin. The shirt front is constructed with princess seams that may be difficult to change especially where the sleeve is sewn to the bodice. The skirt seam sits high on the natural waistline so it is important to take this into account when choosing a size. I lucked out and had to make no modifications. It is important to use a long zipper as the shirt has a high neckline and is snug.

I followed the directions to the letter and only deviated to reduce the size of the neck facing. I used the pattern piece but shortened the width so the obstacle was out of the way when worn. I do hate adjusting and ironing around neckline facing. It reminds me of a bib---and the only time I want to wear a bib is during an eating contest. Consider following the instructions because the sleeve installation recommends finishing the cap before setting. It makes a lovely finish so easily obtained with little effort.

I do plan on making this shirt again and may try my hand at the dress. It was terribly easy and quick especially for the look. There is not one thing I would change about the pattern. Best pattern I have used in a while. In the future, I see a black wool shirt with a white collar. I cannot wait to have this garment in my wardrobe. Maybe something out of peachskin for the summer?

6 comments:

  1. This is picture perfect! Nicely done. love this pattern too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Prtty. I have the dress on the cutting table and am getting ready to stitch it together today. I hope it isn't too clingy though. The peachskin is a bit heavy so I hope this helps.

      Delete
  2. This top looks great! I have this pattern and can't wait to make it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, Move this pattern to the top of your list. I used a light weight wool for the shirt and a heavy rayon for the dress (which is almost done, just have to buy a zipper) and both versions are really cool. Highly recommend it.

      Delete
  3. Your version is lovely. I got my material today for mine. I can't wait! Unfortunately Easter is taking priority (pft). 50 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Easter!!! That means spring is on the way. The dress in this pattern would make a wonderful Easter dress for yourself. I like mine and will post it next week weekend; it’s Valentine’s Day inspired as you’ll see. Hope you have a happy Easter.

      Delete