7/25/2015

Not the Best Combo {simplicity 1419}

Pattern: Simplicity 1419
Version: C - the jacket
Sizing: 14
Fabric: wool/polyester sitting; bemberg
Notions: hem tape; interfacing
Instructions: fine
Modification: added full lining
Recommend: yes

Hot off the success of my blue and white gingham dress from Simplicity 1419. I jumped right into the jacket hoping it was just as engaging to make as the counterpart. Well it was, both in construction and adding my own special details.

The fabric is a wool suiting that I though would be fun to wear with the dress as a patriotic red, white, and blue motif. I'm so glad I picked this fabric for this piece as I would have hated it for the project I had planned. It has a weave reminiscent to Ponte without the softness or ease. It's also a little itchy.



With the itch, a lining was called for, but the Lisette pattern does not include the pieces, only facings. I decided to keep the facings around the front collar and stitched them directly to the lining piece cut exactly as the outer fabric shell. I did this to avoid any pattern drafting. That was pretty easy, and the end product looks pretty close to ready-to-wear quality.


Since the jacket comes in at the waist and is finished with a flounce, the lining was easy to install. It ends at the waist seam. The flounce is finished with a quarter inch hem since both sides can be seen when worn.


It's a fine little jacket. I probably will only make it this once. I'm not sure that I will wear it with the dress included in the same pattern envelope, because the ruffle around the waist and darts from the dress are awkward to/on me and make me feel thick in the waist. The jacket also lays poorly, as seen in the photo above, with the dress.

1 comment:

  1. Hello, If you still have this pattern and are willing to sale it, I will purchase it from you! I have been desperately been looking for this pattern in the larger size. Please contact me @ jazwadepatterns@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete