7/12/2015

Tulip Skirt {Vogue 9013}

Pattern: Vogue 9013
Version: C - shorter skirt
Sizing: 14
Fabric: wool/polyester suiting; bemberg
Notions: invisible zipper; hem tape
Instructions: ok
Modification: added lining
Recommend: either here nor there, but the high-waist is neat

Vogue 9013 has sat idle for sometime now.  I cut the long-sleeve jacket and short skirt nearly six months ago, never quiet taking the initiative to go forward with the project.  As I speak, the jacket still sits half-finished beside the serger. While I do like the project and pattern, it took some self persuasion to take the next step and start sewing the skirt.
 
I know one reason that has held me up...there was no lining provided with the pattern.  My wool/polyester blend demands this addition; the fabric is itchy, and skirts are just better without the need to wear slips.  So my first order of business was to decide how best to accomplish the construction.  Facings are part of the original design, and I thought it would be a good idea to keep this element since the waistline is a flip-over at the seam finish.  Taking the facing pieces, I subtracted the facing width from the skirt length at the top, adjusting for the seam allowance and skirt hem.  It was a bit fiddly with the six different panels, but works fine.


Construction of the skirt was easy until it came time to hem.  The tulip skirt has a fair amount of circumference at the knees, and since it can be seen when moving, I opted for a narrow seam completed with hem tape and hand-stitching.  A bound hem could have been lovely, but the fabric has weight, which would restrict the flow of the fabric and add bulk.  The lining is also finished with a narrow hem.  


I do like this skirt.  There is no reason this project should have lagged getting done.  It is comfortable, because the multiple panels allow for easy fitting, and it pairs well with a brocade shirt I made short through the bodice, since the waist is drafted high. One day (hopefully soon), I will finish the jacket.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment