10/12/2014

Pencil Plaid {Simplicity 2154}

Pattern:  Simplicity 2154
Version:  D - the skirt
Sizing:  14
Fabric:  1 yrd wool plaid at 60 inches; acetate lining
Notions:  heavy interfacing; invisible zipper; hook closures; hem lace
Assembly time:  5 hrs - from cut to matching the plaids and hand hemming
Instructions:  fine
Modification:  added a complete lining; lapped waist closure; installed invisible zipper
Recommend:  it's a simple straight skirt

How do you come up with ideas for sewing?  Does the pattern come first, or do you have a fabric stash that inspires?  For me, it starts with an idea, which I usually stew over for a couple of months before I actually accumulate all the "right" pieces for the project such as pattern and fabric.  I also spend a fair amount of time contemplating how to tackle things, such as whether I should make the project in the easiest manner or attach something new to the process.  I will be honest, my project completion rate is low; most of my ideas never come to formation.  I guess have more ideas than ambition.  This skirt, however, is exactly like I envisioned and came together without any glitches.


While meandering through an online fabric stores one day, I came across a two-toned plaid in a silky-soft wool. The simple, light-weight fabric works wonderfully for the pattern I selected---a no fuss pencil skirt. Simplicity 2154 has four coordinates in a vintage styling and was picked because it offers a straight sided skirt with four double-pleat sections making it a bit easier for matching plaid.  I chose a size 14 based on the ease measurement of 41; my hip measurement is 39, but I like my clothes to have a relaxed fit---I am not a sausage and prefer a muffin on a plate.

a machine blind-hem stitch was used for the lining and hand-stitching for the wool hem

The pattern and directions are setup well, besides the fact that a lining is not included with the design.  Since this skirt will be worn in cooler weather, I definitely wanted the extra layer and cut the skirt pieces in a lining fabric as well as the outer facing material.  The two textiles were stitched separately and attached at the waistband.  The kick-pleat is nicely drafted; it is wider than others I have encountered, making it a bit easier to deal with the folder-over. 

1) machine stitch line along waistline scarred acetate and was remove to hand sew invisibly along bottom waist edge ; 2) hand-stitching along zipper line

Instead of adding a lapped zipper, an invisible zipper was installed to keep the side seam smooth.  The fabric for this skirt is thin, and unlike a heavier wool, the zipper moves up and down freely.  Two hook and eye sets secure the waistband.  The directions only call for a single button with a short tail to the waistband; however, I like the look of a lapped waist closure because any fabric stress can spread between two fasteners over a large area.


waist closure

In the greater scheme of things, this skirt will go nicely with the recently completed blazer (Simplicity 3628).  There is also a bit of the plaid leftover that may just end up as a little vest---how retro right?  Eventually, I plan on making more pieces from Simplicity 2154.  The shirt appeals to me greatly.  For now though, I leave you with a two thumbs up for the skirt.

2 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!! What an amazingly perfect skirt! I love it with that jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How very kind of you. I needed a pick-me-up. I've had two sewing disasters lately which have impleaded my current project. My Halloween outfit lays in a heap waiting to be started; I just don't want to mess it up. Thank you for your encouragement.

      Delete