3/05/2015

Sew for the Size You Are {Simplicity 2154}

Pattern:  Simplicity 2154
Version:  D - the skirt
Sizing:  12
Fabric:  polyester boucle; polyester organza; polyester charmeuse
Notions:  zipper; hook-and-eye
Instructions:  like every other fitted-skirt pattern
Modification:  interlining
Recommend:  sure

Here is the truth...

I have been putting off posting this skirt because it is the wrong size!  I made it too small!  To be fair on myself, it sort-of fit at one time.  Sort-of meaning it was a little snug when I was making it, but roomy enough to continue sewing without altering.  It was a bad judgment call.  I finished the skirt thinking I was going to loose some girth and instead I gained some width. 

Lesson learned. 

Sew for the size you are.  Not the size you want to be. 

Whatever.  It will fit---one day---and I like it, so it will stay in my closet until something changes. 

Regardless of the fit, I used a new technique to me, interlining in organza to support the seams in blouche fabric.  I was a bit concern about making this skirt any heavier because warmer clothing can be uncomfortable.  Organza is a good choice because it is thin, providing very little insulation.

For each skirt piece, I stitched the organza and boucle right-sides together and then turned so the right-side of the fabric faced out, then I stitched the skirt pieces together.  This encased the seam allowance inside a organza pocket and prevents fraying. 

Interlining makes hemming a dream since it gives something to sew into other than the outer-facing fabric.   The kick pleat in this pattern is alright, but I have made a couple of other skirts with a larger allowance that worked better. I also installed a ordinary zipper, so the finished edge from the organza made this outcome a bit easier since the raw edge was eliminated. 

In addition to the interlining, I lined the skirt in charmeuse.  Charmeuse is becoming more popular with me for lining.  I like the feel against my skin and the color selection is a bit better at my local fabric store; also the quality is higher than the typical acetate that is easily accessible. 

What I like most about this pattern is the double darts on each panel.  I doubt I will make this skirt pattern again though, only because straight skirts are plentiful and I have one that fits better.  I certainly would encourage you to make it if you are interested because there is nothing wrong with the drafting.

No comments:

Post a Comment