6/03/2014

One Month, One Pattern 2014 Recap {Simplicity 1693}

image source
One Month, One Pattern was so much fun this year. The concept is simple. For one month, I take one pattern and make as many versions of the garment as time, energy, and creativity will permit. Focusing solely on one unit, eliminates the need to fit since problems have been sorted prior to the next shirt being started, which results in the ability to make more garments in a shorter amount of time. As a bonus, in order to avoid making the same exact shirt every time creativity becomes center stage.

My wardrobe constantly feels like I need shirts. So, for the second year in a row, I choose a shirt to focus on for this sew-a-thon. Simplicity 1693 offers a wide variety of options and even two shirt bases. When I first bought the pattern, I was attracted to the Peter Pan collar and the loose fitting bodice. Surprisingly, I neglected to incorporate to of the pattern features into any of my version, the short elastic sleeve and elastic waist; however, I did turn the shirt into a tunic.  


I am very proud of the nine shirts that I made during May, and besides one I have worn all at least once. Can you guess which one has yet to make a debut? Well, it is not the sleeveless chambray (Fabric Matters 1M1P #7), that I quote “would not wear to the depths of hell”. That version is caked with dirt after spending the day in the rose garden. Turns out, that particular shirt is very comfortable and appropriate for a hot sunny day. The silk green shirt (From B5997 to S1693 1M1P #4), however, is not a cool summer shirt, nor has it been completed! I still need to buy a piece of cording for the neckline gap. By far the most worn version is the light weight cotton shirt (Cotton Ruffles 1M1P #1) that kick-started this journey. The most comfortable versions are made with challis or crepe de chine fabric, of which five shirt were made from these types of fabric.

1) Cotton Ruffles; 2) Simply Exposure; 3) Flutter Sleeves; 4) From B5997 to S1693; 5) Bishop Sleeves; 6) Turned to a Dress; 7) Fabric Matters; 8) Blue Bird Flutter; 9) It's a Celebration


The last shirt I made is my favorite and incorporates sequins (It's a Celebration 1M1P #9).  This version strayed a bit from the idea of building an "every day" outfit, because truthfully, sequins are not exactly a part of my normal day attire.  I am going to defend the shirt though because a) I can wear it with jeans for a fun night on the town, and b) I have a sequin skirt that had nothing to go with it, so I completed a full outfit.
 
Mixing the fabric, crepe de chine plus mesh sequins, differentiates this shirt from the casual, as depicted by Simplicity, to the dressy. Thus, the completion of the sequin shirt (It's a Celebration 1M1P #9) offers a different viewpoint of Simplicity 1693.  I have posted another review of this pattern on patternreview.com to illustrate to others that fabric selection can change the look.  A copy of this review is below for your enjoyment. If you are unaware of patternreview.com, it is a great resource for helpful tips on almost every sewing pattern imaginable.  You can also find my first review of Simplicity 1693 (Cotton Ruffles 1M1P #1) on patternreview.com too.   
 
 
This entry was originally posted on patternreview.com.
 
 
Pattern: Simplicity 1693
 
Version:  View D without sleeve elastic
 
Sizing:  12, bust ease 39.5
 
Though I found the bust dart to be fine on me, I can see where some people will need to adjust the placement. I tested the pattern before making my “real” shirts because I thought this might be an issue.  
 
Fabric:  .75 yards crepe de chine; sequin mesh  
 
Fabric is key to your enjoyment of this pattern. The crepe de chine on this shirt is perfect for the design.  
 
Were the instructions easy to follow?  The instructions are really great and are written well enough that if you are new to sewing you can complete the project by yourself. Of course, if you have experience, the directions also give finishing techniques that will upgrade the construction of your garment. For this shirt, I used French seams (directions are given in the stitching info within the pattern instructions) for all seams including the sleeves (not included in directions). Encasing the raw edge of the sequin mesh is the best idea, because the fabric is scratchy. I also love the illustration for making a button loop. However, since I used a French seam for the rear center bodice of this particular shirt, a snap closure with a grosgrain ribbon reinforced opening was nicer.
 
Simplicity 1693 pattern directions for seam finishing
 
Modification:  I made a number of changes to accomplish the look of this shirt.  
  • added .5 inch to bodice sides starting at dart
  • self made bias tape at 1.5 inches for the neck
  • .5 inch allowance for French seams
  • narrow waist hem
  • no elastic on sleeves
  • no sleeve hem
  • no collar finish
  • .25 inch neckline seam allowance
  • no collar interfacing or underlining
  • neckline snap
 
Would you recommend it to others?  This is my second review of Simplicity 1693 here on patternreview.com. I typically would not repeat a review, but I want to share the versatility of this pattern. My first shirt was made with a embellished cotton and was very different from the present shirt. I highly recommend this pattern to everyone. While you might not be crazy about the envelope cover, I know this shirt can be made to accommodate everyone’s personal style. 
 
Would you sew it again?  For one month, I spent all my sewing time with this pattern, resulting in one prototype and nine shirts. Some people may think that I would never pickup this pattern again citing boredom. Sorry, but they are wrong. I am even more excited over the pattern today then the day I purchased it because I know the possibilities are limitless. This pattern makes shirts in so many different combos---there are two different shirt bodies, one slightly form fitting and one loose, plus no sleeves, short sleeves, or long sleeves options. Not to mention a collar can be added to the mix. With all those choices, sewing even more from this pattern is a possibility for me, and it will definitely be part of my pattern stash. 
 
Well this wraps up, for now, me making Simplicity 1693.  If you have any questions, please feel free to write me or leave a comment with the questions.  I have spent SEVERAL hours making this shirt, so I am sure I can help, or at least come up with a solution.
 
More One Month, One Pattern articles:

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/22/2014

    I love the idea of One Pattern, One Month. Your pattern choice allowed your creativity to show! My favorite is the long sleeve w/out collar. This pattern was my first blouse attempt 1-1/2 years ago and it was a disaster. I selected a stiff fabric so it just hung awkwardly instead of draped. The neck was huge on me and the puffed sleeves with elastic looked silly. It has been retired to the rag bag in the garage. You have inspired me to give it another go. I have learned quite a bit about fitting and fabric selection this past year so I feel confident that I can produce a wearable garment. Thanks for blogging, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't give up on yourself or this pattern. If you like the design, try again. And if that doesn't work out, try again. I know you can make this shirt work for you. Found the neck was too big for your liking, enlarge the shoulder seam towards the neck a tad; I did that and it worked well (See Blue Bird Flutter 1M1P #8). And well, those puffed sleeves can get out of hand depending on the fabric, so I recommend going with rayon. Best sewing, Sara

      Delete
  2. This is pretty brilliant. Love all your renditions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, this is brilliant! I came here looking for reviews of this pattern. I have two versions so far and have planned a couple more. Love the idea of focusing on one pattern for a month, though I am not that disciplined- I am easily distracted ;) Love all your versions, especially the rayon one in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the second time I have done 1 Month with 1 Pattern, and yes it does get a little boring at the beginning. After I've made a couple though, I get in the grove and come up with more ideas than I have time for. Even after making the nine shirts above, every now and then I want to pick this pattern up and make another rendition. A silky peach fabric with white collar is screaming at me today. Thankfully, it is after store hours and I have no peach fabric in sight, so I'll happily continue working on B5949. Glad you're liking S1693 as much as I am by making more than one. Happy sewing, Sara

      Delete
  4. really liking your versions of this pattern - thanks for the reviews - very helpful

    ReplyDelete