4/07/2015

Bland Beige Experiment 1M1P #2 {Grainline Archer}

Pattern:  Grainline Archer
Version:  A - with pocket and other modifications
Sizing:  10 to 14
Fabric:  shirting with stretch
Notions:  nine little buttons
Instructions:  lovely
Modification:  straighten sleeve; reduced length of sleeve
Recommend:  yes

 
 
The One Month One Pattern series this year is all about filling a gap in my wardrobe.  I am in desperate need of shirts to wear in the dust and grime of the horse ranch.  Since most of the time is actually spent in the middle of a dust bowl and in full sun I choose a couple of fabrics that side on the light-weight beige side of the spectrum.  While this bland fabric selection lacks spunk, it is perfect for testing out a new pattern and experimenting with different options.




For this version, I opted to try a sleeve modification.  The first shirt I made gave me extra long sleeves.  For this one, I changed the shape to a straight line 3/4 length version with no cuff.  I have to say, it is comfortable and practical. 

 
In addition, I made a bold decision and made a pocket.  It's fine.  It's a pocket.  The pattern calls for two; I made one.
 
 
One trick that I do have to pass along is to use basting stitches around the collar edge to keep it aligned correctly for top-stitching.  This pattern calls for loads of top-stitching.  It may be the nature of a button down.  Basting is a great tool for controlling multiple layers of fabric and makes the narrow edge stitching for this shirt so much easier.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment