10/26/2012

Transparent Ghost Costume {Martha Stewart ghost}

Sizing: one size fits all
Fabric:  15 yds tulle
Notions:  ribbon
Cost: $20
Assembly time:  1 hr
Instructions:  poor
Modification:  shortened, shredded tulle
Recommend:  yes, easy with good results

A few years ago I made this costume for a party.  It was so much fun showing up as the quintessential Halloween ghost, but not sporting the common sheet with holes for eyes.  If you need an upscale costume with minimal sewing and in a short time, this might be up your alley.

The costume, though easy to assemble, is a bit hard to work with since the direction provided, in my experience, yield different results than the picture.  First off, it is hard to find 108" tulle.  Secondly, the hood does not end up as large as MSLO photographs.  Thirdly, tossing the tulle into the dryer results in nothing.  Lastly, stacking the same length of tulle only results in a very long costume.  I maneuvered over these obstacles with results that worked well for the situation. 


The party was one where there would be a lot of people standing around, and since I am short (63") I did not want a long version like Martha's.  People standing on my clothes all night, riping them did not sound fun (though ripping was fine, since I intentionally ripped the tulle to provide shabbiness).  So, with 54" wide tulle I followed the directions.  I stacked the ten layers (more than the seven suggested), unevenly for variation in the length and width.  I envisioned the bottom of the costume to be ratty, sort of old and spooky. After the layers were tacked in place, I tore the ends haphazardly.  And then, locked it in a box for storage so the wrinkles would be permanently set.  The hood I followed the directions as best as I could, but they really are not written well which resulted in too much bulk and it being uncomfortable.   

No comments:

Post a Comment