2/18/2014

Mass Cuttings {stitching tip}



Butterick 5610; Butterick 5890; Butterick 5754;
Butterick 5922; Vogue 8886; Butterick 5949; Simplicity 1806;
Simplicity 2249; Butterick 5997; Simplicity 1877; Butterick 5982
The end of last year was a major fail for starting and completing sewing projects.  I had a hard time committing to what I wanted to make and picking the fabric---there were just too many decisions to make that I felt paralyzed.  There other day, though, I decided it was time to get on with things and  spent the last three days cutting patterns.  Believe it or not, mass cuttings are a great motivation for me.  Not only is a pre-cut project ready to go when I am, it eliminates the second guessing---once something is cut the only option is to move forward.
 

My process is pretty simple.  I gather all the fabric I have, all the patterns that are new or the ones I have liked from previous garments, I lay things out, and then play with the different combinations.  I take into account the details provided on the back of the envelope, such as recommended fabric type, yardage, and if a lining is needed.  Once all the decisions are made, I start cutting.  Of course, only one pattern is cut at time including the lining and interfacing if necessary.  I find notes helpful, since it may be some time before that particular piece will be finished.  One thing learned over the course of time is to mark what version has been cut; it's easy to forget.  I also try to gather all the notions needed.  When everything is prepared, I place all the pieces, including the pattern envelope into a sack and stack. Then, when I am ready, I pull a project out and start sewing.

Here's a little look at what I have put together.  Expect to see some of these works in the coming months.  I also have a few other glorious patterns set aside to make in the near future. 

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea and have used it as well. Unfortunately, seasons have changed several times and I have yet to complete many of the projects I've cut and prepped. But at the beginning of this year, I went through them and found there was only one I didn't want to complete. When you've only a few minutes here and there, having things prepped in advance makes the sewing going much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo to the people who post every single day---I have no idea how you do it!

    We must be kindred spirits. This weekend I was going over patterns to decide which one to use for another 'Every Day Outfit' series. It's between Simplicity 1693 and Simplicity 1806...with a stronger preference for 1806. I WILL publish it in May. Making a series of garments from one shirt is an interesting way to look at a pattern; I quiet like it and it is a great way to use your fabric stash!

    Thanks for being a dedicated reader. It is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete