Version: B - the wide legged jumpsuit
Fabric: knit ponte
Notions: invisible zipper
Instructions: it doesn't matter
Modification: no pockets; removed the sleeves; lowered the neckline; added top-stitching
The other day, I stepped out of the craft room for an opinion on my latest creation. It was meant with a forced smile and complete silence. After prying a bit, the response was, "you probably shouldn't wear that." I had snuck a peak at myself beforehand and could not have agreed more with my critic. I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought Vogue 9075. I should have known it would be a disaster. By looking at the envelope drawing, the neckline is very high, finished above the collar bone, and the wide-legged pants supposedly end below mid-calf. After making the pattern as drafted, I also notice the sketching, specifically with the sleeves, illustrates a narrowing (somewhat squishing) of the upper chest by how the seam lines are drafted.
All these elements ended-up being a concern when I finished my first attempt. The neckline was ultra-high, the armpits and bust were tight, and the length was extra long. Since the garment is made out of light-weight BLACK knit ponte, it took on a very conservative feel (only if I kept the bust tension at bay), even invoking comments about a nunnery and church. Most important thing though, I felt horrible wearing the jumpsuit. Awful. Frumpy. Ugly. Unskillful.
Having nothing to loose, I took my scissors out and started cutting. First went the sleeves; which were cut right at the seam. Next came the neck. I cut two-and-a-half inches out at front center, tapering at the shoulder, then tapering down about three inches at center back. I decided to leave the leg length, but at any moment may opt for trimming to above the knee.
My seams are finished with a bit of top-stitching. The edges around the legs and armholes were completed with a narrow fold-over hem. The neckline is completed with a bit of bias tape sewn at the edge and folded-over also. At the waist, a long piece of clear elastic supports the seam, helping to reduce fabric drag.
I certainly would not recommend this pattern, but I am not disposing of my copy. I am interested in completing a version with pockets, but using the skirt pattern pieces instead of the jumpsuit. I have hopes that by combining the skirt portion with a different bodice, the pattern would make a nice dress. Surprisingly, what was a disaster became a wearable outfit---even making an outing to dinner and being slated for a concert later this week. The entire thing is ultra comfortable, probably due to ease and my knit fabric.