10/20/2015

Outside My Norm {Vogue 8241}

Pattern:  Vogue 8241 - out of print 
Version:  B - the long dress
Sizing:  16
Fabric:  rayon; bemberg
Notions:  button
Instructions:  so very simple and straightforward
Modification: lining to bodice only
Recommend:  yes

Ever been in a mood for something different than your norm? I picked up Vogue 8241in one of those moments. After finishing a shirt from Simplicity 1430, there was plenty of leftover fabric to make a light-weight summer dress and I settled on Vogue 8241. Taking a pattern that is outside my fashion comfort zone seemed like a good decision since I already had success with the shirt and was ok loosing the fabric to a rogue sewing experience.


 
At first, view A was the desired outcome, but I was pleasantly surprised that view B was achievable even in a size 16 and a little more than 1.5 yards of fabric. With four pattern pieces, this dress is very easy to make. The directions call for cutting a full lining by duplicating the pieces in both fashion fabric and lining. I only lined the bodice, but was so tempted just to use bias binding to finish the neck and arms. However, the lining is a better choice with my fabric. For the most part I followed the directions. I finished the skirt with French seams. The raw edge for the elastic casing is also bound within the seam in a French seam manner. Vogue 8241 holds true to the advertised "very easy", and is certainly achievable to a beginer of garment sewing. I highly recommend this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment