4/15/2015

Calling It a Wadder 1M1P #4 {Grainline Archer}

Most of the my fabric for  One Month, One Pattern 2015 came from a huge order that was made specifically to obtain material for this project.  I buy a lot of my fabric these days online, and so I know the uncertainty of purchasing fabric without seeing or feeling.  I also know that laying down a huge amount of money is a bit foolish without first receiving a swatch.  For my faux fur coat I ordered material on multiple times because of the $50.00 per yard fee.  However, for One Month, One Pattern 2015, no swatches were ordered.  Instead, the yardage went from my cart directly to my mailbox, resulting in some hits, maybes, and definitely a miss. 

 

The price was right for this fabric when I saw the small picture on the computer.  The colors where great, and the description stated light-weight.  It was perfect for a skirted Archer in my minds eye. Except, when the material arrived, the idea began to crack.  The fabric is some sort of sheer polyester chiffon; and while the company may be technically right in calling it a voile, it is not what I would consider a voile. However, the pattern was cut regardless in the most careful manner I could muster.  Then I decided to adhere the interfacing to the front band.  It did not work.  The fabric warps terribly under the irons heat, even on barely warm.  I tried several time to sort things out, but in the end, I made the call.  This shirt is a wadder. 

image source

When do you make the call on a wadder?  Do you "make do" and do everything you can to complete the project, or do you call it quits early in the process?  For this one, I knew, even if I completed the shirt, it would have been of such low quality that wearing it would never occur.  By giving up, I now have more time on my hands and, I am off to the next Archer

One Month, One Pattern 2015 Inauguration 1M1P #1
Bland Beige Experiment 1M1P #2 {Grainline Archer}
Standout Skirted Shirt 1M1P #3 {Grainline Archer} 

No comments:

Post a Comment