9/14/2015

Size Could Have Saved the Shirt {Simplicity 1779}

Pattern: Simplicity 1799
Version:  B
Sizing: 14 - RTW size guess 8
Fabric: something like tricot
Notion: cute buttons
Instructions: good
Modification: no back darts
Recommend: yes

Back in May, I made nine Grainline Archer button shirts as part of my yearly series, One Month, One Pattern. This exercise proved to be a great value because applying those well practiced skills, such as plackets, bottom holes, and general shirt making, allowed Simplicity 1799 to come together for me without incidence. Every seam provoked a feeling of harmony and gratitude.

Well, everything was butterflies and fluffy clouds until...I noticed a flaw in the fabric. Across the bust, the fabric has a dye streak. While this spot could have stood a chance of being unnoticed on a unfitted shirt, this particular top is supper fitted.  I selected the wrong size, making the fabric flaw even more evident. Ease is non-existent in this shirt, which is its only downside. In order to have a bit more movement, I omitted the back darts. Other than that, no modifications were made. I even used the bias pieces provided as part of the pattern. Each piece fit nicely with the other. Even the finicky tie intersection came together following the directions.



I really like the look of this shirt, and really want one that I can wear. I do have more of this fabric, which is a tricot like material, so I possibly could complete a replica. But, I also have a rayon that can be used too; one that is a solid print so pattern matching is un-necessary. I WILL make this shirt again whatever I choose, I'll just cut a bigger size.

No comments:

Post a Comment