9/04/2015

Purple Flower Skirt {Simplicity 1467}

Pattern:  Simplicity 1497
Version:  C - the skirt
Sizing:  16
Fabric:  bottom-weight polyester
Notions: ELASTIC banding
Assembly time: couple of hours
Instructions:  I'm made at them
Modification: no fake ties
Recommend: well, it's a fine enough pattern

This little skirt pattern was quiet the surprise.  The envelope picture, in solely my own opinion, misrepresents the design.  Mainly because it does not show that this waistband is created by elastic.  The rear envelope also has a flaw in that under the notions, elastic is not included.  It was surely a surprise to me to discover an elastic band was used at the waist.  I would have preferred something else, say a zipper and button. 


Since I was using leftover material from my Purple Delight dress, it was not a show stopper to discontinue the project.  Instead, the poorly written directions were followed and the skirt was created.  Thankfully the busy print hides the elastic.  The fabric is a bottom-weight polyester with no stretch.  Since there is no fabric ease and I thought the pattern was slim fitting, I selected a size 16; hindsight a size 14 would have been better.  A skirt made of knit fabric could be sized down even smaller and is something to pay close attention to before construction. 


The camouflage, however, hides the cute pockets and double pleat.    For the inside of this skirt, I opted for the easy, time saving finish method, a la serger.  I did do a quick seam tape and whip stitch hem.  While the skirt is simple, the directions sway me away from recommending it to someone very very new to sewing, especially without someone to guide them through the misleading information.  However, if the beginning stitcher is comfortable "making do" they certainly can produce results suitable to the newbie.  And as always, I am prepared to answer any questions.

So, while I detest the instructions and the elastic, I like the design.  If I ever make this skirt again, I would install a proper waistband, which I know would be easy.  One could be taken from another pattern and used without re-drafting since the pleats can be adjusted to fit into the improved waistband.

No comments:

Post a Comment