9/18/2015

Wanted: More Bottoms {Simplicity 1460}

Pattern:  Simplicity 1430
Version:  C - the pants and D - the shorts
Sizing:  16 (mostly)
Fabric:  twill; denim
Notions:  zipper; button
Instructions:  a must follow, especially the fly front steps
Modification: leg length; sizing alteration
Recommend:  yes
 
Remember when I said I wear dresses not pants? Well, sometimes I feel the need to wear pants for no particular reason other than I want to.  The other day I reached for a pair, put them on, and hated them. I reached for another pair; hated them too.  It has been nearly three years since I wore a majority of my slacks. During that time, I have moved to a completely new climate, lost weight, and most important my tastes have changed, which explains my distaste for my old pants.

My new idea of the ideal pant is Simplicity 1430. Since last summer, this bottoms pattern had been
made seven times. My first attempt was three shorts, followed by pants, more shorts, and now more pants. This pair of pants is a straight from envelope size 16. Other than shortening the leg length, there were no changes.



After experimenting with the "crop effect", I moved on to this pair of black stretch denim pants. Having a full derrière, I wanted to experiment with using a larger rear leg and a smaller front leg to see if the side seam would fall at the center of my leg. The size 16 with no change is fine, but I had hopes this would improve the fit, and serve as a general rule of thumb for me in future pant making ventures. The alteration to size 14 front and 18 back seems to be wonderful; the side seam moved a small amount and falls more towards the middle of my leg.  For this pair, I also tried to "peg" the leg more at the ankle and left the entire pattern leg length as printed.  I am able to cuff the leg to shorten the pants, which makes it different than my other pairs.  A hint for choosing your fabrics:  This denim has a stretch to it, and the pattern should have been sized down to accommodate.  The twill versions fit much better, even at days end, and I would generally recommend pairing Simplicity 1430 with a heavier, more stable cotton.


This pair of shorts is a variation on a gray pair made of suiting. The shorts from view D were lengthened by four inches, cut at my normal size 16. The leg opening is quiet large and with the stiffness of the twill stands out from my leg.  After multiple washings, the fabric will more than likely relax, creating a more comfortable wear...for now the shorts are a bit stiff. 

I still love this pattern and want so many more. I have a turquoise pair of shorts cut, but the season has changed before I could make them up. I also what a couple of crop-length in twill like the floral print above for next summer. For now though, I am happy fall is on the way so I can bring out the wool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment