8/25/2015

The 70s Call {Butterick 6148 OOP}

Pattern: Butterick 6148 - so very out of print
Version: the swimsuit
Sizing: 16
Fabric: gabardine
Instructions: fine
Modification: seam finishing
Recommend: yes - look on Etsy

Lately, I've watch a whole lot of "Three's Company", which explains my latest fashion choice---70s pool wear.  The true to time pattern, dare I say vintage, out of print Butterick 6148 was bought one evening while watching Jack, Janet, and Terri migrate their way through living. The wrap skirt and full coverage swimsuit spoke to me, mainly because I sometimes host backyard dinners poolside and thought the outfit would be appropriate for sitting around the dinner table with (for example) the in-laws.



I'll post about the skirt at a later time, focusing instead on the swimsuit since it's the base for the ensemble. Fabric color for the suit was picked based on the pattern envelope.  Light-blue was the closest I could find.  This being the beginning of the 21st, a nylon swimwear was used instead of the knit typically sold during the late 20th century.  Being a light colored swimsuit material, a lining was important. I also needed bust cups to add extra blockage.
 
 
Having the lining meant I needed to alter the pattern slightly. I tried my best to keep the same look as the pattern intended, including the channeling used to insert elastic along the edging.  My seams are wrapped inside the garment, and the channels make it easy to enclose everything. The bust cups complicated matters for me. I'm still confused about these things, so I'm not even going to write about that venture--- it's still an on going battle.
 
 
There are many things I like about the swimsuit. The coverage is great. The top stays closed because of the elastic. The straps are nice and wide.  I really like the lines, both front and back, of the bodice. I also like the functionality of the butt. It is nice to have a piece that covers the entire derriere, not just a portion of the cheek.
 
 
What I find a bit uncomfortable is the crotch seam.  Everything meets in the middle, including the double-overed seams to accommodate the leg channeling elastic. There is also a bit too much extra fabric for the front crotch, making it even more uncomfortable between the legs.
 
When I make this suit again, I will use the pattern shape established for the bottoms of the two piece I made last summer, expanding the rear lines to match the classic bottoms. I like the newer viewpoint of inserting a crotch piece to offset the seam bulk further up the body. I also like the idea of sewing the elastic along the edge without a casing. I do recommend this pattern and have seen other copies advertised on Etsy for a low price.  It's an easy creation to complete and comfortable to swim in...even good for belly flops. 

No comments:

Post a Comment