2/24/2014

White in Winter {Butterick 5982}

Pattern:  Butterick 5982
Version:  short sleeves with no overlay
Sizing:  14
Fabric:  2.5 yrds cotton eyelet
Notions:  invisible zipper
Instructions:  simple and straight forward
Modification:  none, sized up to avoid any need for modification
Recommend:  It's a sweet little dress with a nice combination of pleats and ruffles for the skirt. 

White in winter....while some are enjoying snowy streets and sledding hills, I am enjoying a gloriously warm winter where a little white dress is perfectly acceptable for dancing under the blue sky.  This dress will see many a summer days this year, because it is perfection as far as I am concerned.


It all started with the fabric, which is a sturdy bleach-white cotton embellished with embroidered circles.  The fabric was narrow, about 40 inches, and took every inch of the 2.5 yards.  The bodice is lined in a light-weight cotton.  Besides the zipper, no other notions are needed. 

I cut the pattern at a straight size 14 for two reasons: 1) wanted a no-fuss project, and 2) to avoid a tight fit on hot days.  In dresses similar to this, I usually cut a size 12.  The top is constructed with darts and princess seams, while the bottom has voluminous gathers with pleats that create a flat center and back.  The directions are simple and straight forward; all this means a beginner seamer can find success in construction, and I have nothing to add to aid in completing the dress.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! I am making this dress too. I love the design. However in my case I have made some modification. I'll post some pictures when I finished the garment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm VERY curious to see what you are up to with this pattern? Are you having success with the dart in the princess seam? Did you make the belt? Please do share what you've made. Best of luck and more.

      Delete