9/23/2014

It's Fall But Summer's Not Over {McCall's 6759 & 5400}

Can you believe that today is the first day of fall?!?! While most people are putting away their swimwear, I still have a couple of months of warm weather to enjoy my newly completed swimsuits.  My first attempt at swimwear (Plunging into Swimwear, Yikes!) ended happily, and since then I have wanted to make more.  The other day turned out to be fantastic.  I found a new (to me) fabric store and fell in love with a piece of island print beachwear. 
 

 


To avoid ruining this great fabric, I stuck with the tankini pieces from McCall's 6759.  The entire swimsuit set takes one yard each of swim lining and outerwear.  I lined all the pieces, since the bulk of the fabric is white, which is different than the directions buts adds no complications.  This pattern is easy, and truly is a great place to start if you are at all interested in making your own swimwear. Even an advance beginner can find a happy experience. 
 
 
But wait, there is more!  While at the store, I picked out coordinating turquoise fabric with the intent of making pieces to mix and match with the beach print.  Instead of adding another tankini, I selected McCall's 5400 for variation.  While the instructions for McCall's 5400 are easy to follow, I am not a fan of the top's cut.  Notice the sloppy bust area.  Ugh.  This bikini is not one you would want to wear surfing, or probably even bobbing up and down in the ocean.  I cut a C-cup, which is usual for me, and have way too much ease.  Another modification was to cut three inches off the halter length.  I do like the fact that the neckline is higher, but this is probably due to the excess length being cut from center back.  The next time I make this suit, I will use a smaller cup size, since cup size options are included in the pattern, and shorten the halter prior to construction.  In the meantime, there are plenty of options for plunging into the pool this fall.    

No comments:

Post a Comment