2/24/2015

Cosmos Skirt {Simplicity 1542}

Pattern:  Simplicity 1542 
Version:  D - the skirt
Sizing:  14
Fabric:  polyester chiffon; polyester lining
Notion:  invisible zipper; interfacing
Instructions:  fine
Modification:  layered skirt; invisible zipper
Recommend:  this is fun

This skirt was so much fun to make...it might of been the fabric print or it might have been the cute little skirt pattern.  I typically hate working with chiffon, but when Mood put this galaxy print online, I pressed the purchase button faster than cashing in a lotto ticket.  I bought two panel.  In this case that means two print repeats.  This was JUST enough to cut the skirt pieces to maximize the cosmos image.


Chiffon---not a great choice for a skirt.  So, a full lining was a must, but any-old lining would not be ideal.  The lining had to be opaque.  Originally, I pulled a black satin.  That ended up stiffing the drape of the skirt, which was opposite to the vision in my mind.  I wanted a soft summer skirt; the satin was nixed.  Next, I pulled a polyester blue lining that I had on the shelf.  This was the weight I was looking for, but the blue and a black skirt?   Surprisingly, the navy ended up being a great background fabric.  The black fabric dulled the whites and yellows in the stars, but the blue brought out the blues and purples.  I was quiet surprised that while the main color in the chiffon print is black, a navy blue lining enhanced the print.



With the two thin fabrics, finishing the seams was a concern.   Prior to sewing the individual pieces together, I hemmed the skirt.  Yes, what usually is the last step in sewing a dress, became the first step for making my cosmos skirt. Next, I sewed the side seams and whip-stitched the raw edge in the seam allowance to prevent fraying.  The waistband is interfaced on both sides with light weight fusible--my favorite is made with cotton.  This skirt called for a rear tag since the back yoke is slightly higher than the front.  I also used a invisible zipper just because I like the look over a ordinary one.  My favorite element of the pattern is the gathers at front center and back.  Being another fun, easy pattern to work with, I will definitely make this one again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment