10/19/2012

American Native Costume {Simplicity 5446}

Pattern:  Simplicity 5446
Fabric:  6 yrds skin toned satin-reverse side
Additional Supplies: fringed; banding
Cost: fairly expensive for a costume; fabric $50, trim $70, elastic $1
Assembly time:  unknown
Instructions:  easy, but not necessary
Modification:  none
Recommend:  yes

I feel the need to apologize.  All my costume posts this season are old and I know my posts lack a bit of detail, so sorry.  I am fortunate, though, to have a stash that services as evidence to all the fun times I have had dressing as someone else.  Not all the costumes are mine along though, I enjoy making my husband's outfit too. 
 


This Indian costume was made for a murder mystery party.  Murder mysteries are so much fun.  Most of them start off by the guests receiving an invitation and a character card.  The character card explains the premise of the party and gives costume suggestions.  Most of the time everyone arrives in costume; everyday cloths receive the evil eye and stares, so that is inadvisable.  Some costumes are better than others, but this costume falls as one of the better ones. 
 
I must confess, this costume was not cheap.  The trim and fringe cost way more than I wanted, but I could not find anything that would serve half as well.  I did purchase cheaper fabric though.  For it to resemble hide, I chose satin but used the reverse side (aka the non-shinny side).  The pants are simple elastic topped with the breech cloth sewn directly in the waist line.  Usually I despise neck interfacing, but for this costume I think it adds a more authentic look---well as authentic as a costume.   





No comments:

Post a Comment