11/19/2012

Online Pattern Discovery {stitching tip}

New patterns are at our fingertips at all times of the day without leaving our sewing room.  I was a bit hesitant in buying and downloading one until I found Burda 118 from the Burda Style website.  I have been looking for this design for a couple of years now and was so excited that despite the 95 degrees outside and an astonishing humidity, I bought it straight away. 

After coping all 31 pages on my personal printer and purchasing the cheapest interfacing (unfusible) to copy the pattern onto, I sat down to tape the pieces together.  A grid is provided so navigating the sections isairly easy, pluc all page side are labeled with a number.  Not all patterns include seam allowance, which presents a problem.  A very big problem.   

As a lazy sewer, which is honestly the truth, I am at a lose.  What am I supposed to do with a pattern that has no seam allowances?  Do they honestly expect me to do all the measuring and marking to get the pattern so I can sew it?  I know/  The answer is yes.  Does anyone have any suggestions or resources for making a Burda pattern compatible with a lazy sewer? 

Until I have a solution, my hopes of having this cute little jacket hang in limbo--and that simply must not happen because I have to have this coat!

 

2 comments:

  1. Panifrau11/29/2012

    My problem is completely opposite, I just hate patterns with seam allowances, making any changes is so complicated and time consuming. There is a simple solution to your problem, buy a Prym parallel tracing wheel. With this little toy you can mark perfectly even seam allowances in no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I ordered one from "A Fashionable Stitch Shop" ( http://shop.afashionablestitch.com/ ) as it looked like the nicest one out there---you know all ergonomic and snazzy. I’m so excited to be one step closer to making a Burda pattern. You are so lucky to know the skill already.

      Delete