11/27/2014

PR Post of Vogue 1102 {patternreview.com}

This entry was originally posted on patternreview.com and on this site as Little Black Cocktail Dress.
 
 

Sizing: The dress was made using the size 14 markings on the pattern. I selected the size, based on ease, that would be tailored but loose fitting. Multiple muslins were used to adjust sizing to my body shape and design adjustments.

Fabric: 3.5 yrds cotton velvet; 1 yrd polyester crepe for lining

Assembly time: 5 hrs total: 1 hr redrafting and muslin, 1 hr cutting, 3 hrs sewing

Were the instructions easy to follow? I always read the directions before construction and this time they were misplaced. So, there is no opinion for or against. The dress is easy enough to be constructed on its own.


Modification: To be honest, I stewed over this pattern for a number of hours trying to decide how to tackle the task. I really like the original design, but I was unsure how to fit it into my lifestyle and self-image. After a bit, I decided to raise the back, since it was nearly backless, to just above my shoulder bones and elongate the entire bodice by three inches. The bodice now sits closer to my natural waistline with the lovely curved back draping towards the lower hip. The large bow was unfortunately eliminated, with great remorse, and the skirt length shortened. These adjustment aided in reducing the needed fabric to three and half yards.

Would you recommend it to others? This is one of my favorite dresses to date. Though the dress is formal, thanks to the fabric, it is extremely comfortable and now more modest. The construction is easy, especially without the bow. I would recommend this pattern and even though my pattern adjustments may not be taken seriously, I would definitely encourage some thought about fabric choice. The fabric used was heavy velvet whereas the pattern recommends medium weights like linen or broadcloth. I think the heavier fabric helps this dress maintain its shape without having to have special undergarments.

Would you sew it again? I REALLY like this dress, but I think the design doesn't merit reproduction in my closet. I cannot think of a way to make another dress unique enough to be different than the one I already have unless I revert to the original design. So, this pattern will more than likely be retired, but kept in my stash for future inspiration. I can see potential as a maternity dress for someone; though I would leave the empire waistline but raise the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment