11/19/2014

Dressing the Dressform {stitching tip}

While I adore the look of a professional dressform, I prefer the practicality of the adjustable one I have had for the last two years.  During this time I have lost twenty pounds, gained ten back, and am currently promising myself to get "back in shape" by dropping that extra ten.  This fluctuation in weight is the reason I love my adjustable dressform.  I have been able to manipulated it to replicate my body measurements during these weight fluctuations.  One thing that distracts me though is the gaps created by the adjustable panels.  Recently, I rectified this annoyance by making a sock to slide over my dressform, covering the gaping holes.

This project is so simple, and well worth the small effort.  I made the cover out of a flesh colored knit that has a bit of slide. The fabric was draped over the form and then the sides were pinned together, resulting in a tightly fitting silhouette.  I stitched around the fabric where the pins were located.  The neck was finished simply by folding over the fabric and at the bottom a drawstring was put in place to gather around the mannequin stand.

1) pin; 2) trim; 3) stitch

1 comment:

  1. What a good idea. I need to do this since the original skin is coming off. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete