9/14/2012

Mrs. T Shirt {Vogue 1306}

Sizing: large
Fabric:  burnout jersey blend; 1 yrd (60" wide)
Cost: 12.99
Assembly time: 5 hrs
Instructions:  easy to understand
Modification:  none
Recommend:  yes!

Do you ever feel the joy of completing a project and in the end loving how it turned out? Well, I enjoyed everything about Vogue 1306--even my little accidents. I went back and forth with which version to sew, but ultimately decided the fabric would look best for version B. It was a perfect choice. It is a rayon blend burnout jersey with low stretch. Keep this in mind when selecting your fabric; the pattern does recommend a low stretch knit and I think this is key to success.
 

When I cut the shirt out, I had just returned from three weeks at the beach. So, loose fitting clothes were defiantly on my mind; you see I had a bit of sun burn.  The pattern comes in only two sizing groups XS to M or L to XXL.  I cut a size large, which after completion would roughly be a size XL in ready to wear thanks to the ease.


Along with selecting the correct type of fabric to make this garment, I strongly suggest purchasing the yardage recommend on the envelope.  Unfortunately, I only purchased a single yard, which was 60" wide, but this was not enough to correctly cut the neckline on the bias.  In the end, the shirt came out perfectly fine, since I was able to eliminate a lot of the excess fabric with the iron.  I also nearly had a disaster when I read the wrong directions, which resulted in the neckline notch, or placket, being installed very poorly.  I think I was able to recover from this mistake quickly and easily. 

As far as the pattern goes, I do think the gathering is a bit awkward.  On my next version, I plan on making this seam as small as possible.  I also will cut the binding for the neckline notch longer to ensure I have enough fabric to cover the cut out. 

I cannot wait to sew this shirt again.  I nearly rushed to the fabric store to buy more jersey the afternoon I completed it, but decided that I should finish at least one other project before I buy more fabric.  I do recommend that if you are in the slightest bit interested, rush out and buy the supplies right now. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I've just gotten this pattern, found yours, it is beautiful! Love your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really do need to make another one of these. I think it could be turned into a cute swimsuit cover. Maybe just make it a bit longer. Wait...for that matter, why couldn't it be a dress? For a dress, I might drop the front ruffle though to the waist. Humm...the possibilities.

      Delete