10/19/2014

Sewing for Others {stitching tip}

How often does this happen to you...

"Oh, you sew," says a really great friend.

You kindly reply, "Yes."

Your friend gleefully jumps up and down while yelling, "Great, you can hem my plants."

To this day, I dread letting people know that I can sew, mostly because I HATE HEMING PANTS, even my own.  The one person that lets me talk crafts without asking anything of me is my mother-in-law. 

On our last visit together, she noticed a rather cute shirt dress hanging on the form.  I had made Simplicity 2246 (Shirt Dress and review ) before with ease and threw this one together with some interesting poly-stretch fabric.  After putting it together, I knew it was something that would be unworn.  The stitching was spot on, but the chemistry lacked.  My mother-in-law, however, was so curious about the construction that I passed it on to her.  It is perfect for her lifestyle.  The fabric is easy to care for, everything just rolls off it, and is wrinkle free. 


While sewing is something that I keep secret from most people, I do share my creations and want people to discover that they can just as easily sew.  These days when people ask me to hem their pants, I have learned to offer a one-on-one teaching session.  Unfortunately, for them, no one has taken me up on the offer, and the pants have never found their way to my hands. I truly feel it is their loss, and I am defiantly far from being disappointed about only shortening my own stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment