12/08/2012

Blue Conservative {Vogue 8766}

Pattern: Vogue 8766
Version: D
Sizing: top 12 to bottom 14
Fabric: polyester crepe 2 yrds; polyester lining 2 yrds
Notions: invisible zipper
Cost: $16
Assembly time: 8 hrs
Instructions: easy to understand and unnecessary, just read first
Modification: invisible zipper and sized up in the hips
Recommend: yes, version D is a breeze

So, what does one do when one wants a new dress…that’s blue, fairly conservative…and needed before the week's end? Well, the answer is simple. She selects a television show (preferably one that has a couple of seasons—just in case), grabs a trusty pattern, and cuts, stitches, and finishes a simple blue dress fit for any season. Yeah, that sounds simple enough and it is--at least with Vogue 8766.


I have made this dress once before so the fit was predetermined. Being smaller on the top than the bottom, the dress was cut to a size 12 and tapered to a size 14 around the hips. This small modification changes what would be a tight fitting dress to a slim-fitting A-line. The length was left as prescribed, resulting in a hemline below the knees.

I did decided to line this dress, as this is an option. I’ve made this dress once before without a lining instead using bias, and either method works wonderfully. One item I changes was to exchange a regular zipper with an invisible one. I also finished the hems of both the lining and dress with hem tape.

Have I mentioned the ease in which this dress was completed? The direction, though as perfect as they ever come, are not needed. Do as I did and pre-read. This will prepare you for the simple task of putting it together within half a day.

If I was to change one thing about my finished garment, it would have been to use better fabric, preferably a natural wool. I will wear this dress again and again and again. It would have been nice to have better quality fabric to match my seemingly perfect for anywhere dress. As for the future, I will use this pattern again but to monopolize some cotton lace I purchased last summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment