1/30/2015

Cha Cha Cha Cheetah {Burda 10/2012 131}

Pattern: Burda 10/2012 #131
Sizing: 21
Fabric: 2.5 faux fur; charmeuse
Notions: 4 fur hook and eyes
Instructions: nice try
Modifications: no knit used for sleeves; charmeuse for lining; interfacing for shoulders; sleeve caps
Recommend: yeap

In the midst of my wildly messy sewing room, I sit wrapped in this fur coat enjoying the moment. For years, I have wanted to make Burda 10/2012 #131, but spending the cash to buy faux fur paralyzed me. However, Santa was a great sport this year, and sent the yardage, which was a relief since I kept wavering on fabric type. Should I go with mink, blue, or cat print---too many choices. Well, the Claus sent me the perfect piece…CHEETAH. He even sent lining!

Burda recommends lining in a knit---I used a non-stretch charmeuse. Charmeuse and fur are natural mates in my mind. The tactile variation from fluffy to sleek is interesting. The color change is interesting too since both change depending on light. The sheen and depth compliment each other. Plus, the silkiness lets the coat fall smoothly from any garment underneath.  


The pattern is drafted with a two piece sleeve where the lower part is supposed to be cut from knit; I used fur for both sections. Personally, the look of a undersleeve in a different fabric would have been strange to wear; I guess I am not that funky. Perhaps, the pattern drafter wanted more movement in the sleeve and therefore selected a forgiving fabric, but fur typically has a knit base similar to a sweater and is stretchy so that is just a theory.


I used an size 21 (a petite) which is rather big but suits my intended use: something to snuggle into on a cold evening. Mostly, I see myself in this coat, or should I say robe, sitting on the coach with a cup of tea, a puppy on my lap, and the TV entertaining. Doubtfully, I see this frock making it to the opera---I rarely go, as in close to never.

The jacket was left without interlining because no additional layers are needed for my climate. I did opt to interface the upper half of the panels with fusible interfacing and horse hair; all of which were leftover pieces from prior projects. At first, interfacing was applied to the scarf, but was removed because it created too much stiffness. The sleeve seam created a problem---they always do--- so I smoothed out some of the fabric with a sleeve head, folding the excess into the shoulder area.

The project was meant to be a quick and easy, and it was such a creation. I spent very little effort on the construction; many of the pieces are simple blocks. The only hand-stitching I did was to haphazardly tack the interfacings and stitch-up the collar. I added fur hooks-and-eyes as closures; right now there are only four and I may add one or two more later. I MAY add additional length to the scarf ends too.


I am so glad I made this project. It is the easiest Burda project I have ever attempted. It also makes me happy, because the project accomplishes another goal I had for the new year---participate in an online sewing event. It is my Jungle January contribution!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I think it looks very rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Creative Diva! I am so glad Punxsutawney Phil ruled six more weeks of winter, that way I can keep wearing the cheetah without feeling out of wake. But I do think it calls for a turquois turban. Ahhh, I'm not fooling anyone though---I can't pull something that cool off.

      This creation was a nice break from the detail oriented projects that I have been creating. I enjoyed just slapping it together. Do you ever just want to do something easy and not spend a lot of time paying attention to every stitch you make? It works for this project because the fur covers all the mistakes. Well, a lot of the mistakes and the other one's---who cares?!?

      Delete