6/05/2014

PR Post of Butterick 5425 {patternreview.com}

This entry was originally posted on patternreview.com and on this site as Baby It's Cold Outside {Butterick 5425} .


Pattern: Butterick 5425 (but sadly out of print)

I am so surprised this pattern has not been given more attention on Pattern Review. I am very happy with my finished coat and found the pattern easy and well put together. If you are considering this pattern, I would say go for it! For more information on how I completed my project and to get some handy information, please visit my in depth blog post.

Version: Version A, which is the shorter of the two options with a stand-up collar.

Sizing: I chose size 12 for this coat based on bust size and waist circumference. Along with size, pay attention to the length. I found the pattern to be extremely long. I did use the shorter marking, which on the envelope is illustrates as knee length. The completed project actually ends mid-calf though.


Fabric: It takes a bit of fabric to complete this project. Mine included: black and white herringbone wool blend (6 yds); white, heavy-weight flannel (6 yrds); and black (approximately 2 yds) and white (3 yds) polyester lining. I feel coat wool is the best option for this project. The wool I selected has a loose weave, so I elected to interline with flannel. Not only does the interlining help keep the coat warm, it also aids in stabilizing the seams.

Assembly time: I spent about 60 hours completing this coat, but don't be alarmed. Most of my time was put towards cutting the fabric, hand sewing the hems, and binding buttons.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are very easy to follow. Pre-reading the directions will definitely help complete this coat more easily.

Modification: Other than added interlining, I made no changes to the pattern. I did use different finishing techniques, but the coat can be made very simply with good results.

Would you recommend it to others? I would recommend this coat to others. In fact, I would recommend it to myself if I needed another long coat. The hardest thing, I think, to complete are the buttonholes, so if you know how to put them in you can defiantly make this outerwear.

Would you sew it again? I really would sew this again, if I needed another full skirt coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment