4/10/2014

Sweet Short Jacket {Simplicity 1699}

Pattern:  Simplicity 1699
Version:  C - the jacket
Sizing:  12
Fabric:  wool, polyester lining
Assembly time:  3 hours
Instructions:  fine--I was on a mission so even if they were hideous, I was going to make it happen.
Modification:  shortened length; complete lining; no embellishments
Recommend: yep, simple and sweet

I live in a place that has warm, on the border of HOT, days and cool nights.  A jacket is a must when going out to dinner, taking the dog for a walk, or spending sometime at the drive-in theater.  One day, I was having a wardrobe breakdown and needed a little black jacket to match a dress that I really wanted to wear (I was not going to the drive-in, just a little outdoor wedding).  I had a little over a yard of black wool that matched the dress perfectly and set out to make Simplicity 1699, the jacket version. 

The jacket went together without a hitch.  Since the pattern is not drafted with a complete lining, I just cut one set from the wool and one from polyester. The lining made finishing the inside of the jacket easier since the seams are all covered. I did end up shortening the jacket, because I was a bit short on fabric.  This did not make any difference to me.  No embellishments were used in the making of this cover-up even though the directions really want you to add fringe and such.  Without these embellishment though, the pleated sleeve caps stand out, which is a great little detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment