4/19/2014

Simplified {Simplicity 1877}

Pattern:  Simplicity 1877
Version:  B with modifications
Sizing:  12
Fabric:  wool suiting
Notions:  invisible zipper; hock and eye
Instructions:  just fine
Modification: raised neckline; turned bias; no pockets; no flounce
Recommend:  yes, particular with an adjusted neckline

The moment my first Simplicity 1877 was finished, I wanted to make another version out of wool with a higher neckline.  I finally accomplished that goal and am very pleased with the results.  I did make a few changes to "simplify" the design.  For starters, I raised the neckline about three inches, which makes the dress a bit more comfortable to wear because the original neckline hit very low on/between the bust.  I finished off the neck and sleeves with the provided bias binding, but turned the entire strip inside and slip-stitched in place.  As far as other deviations, I removed the pockets and flounce. 


The dress turned out like I wanted, but I really must recommend lining the bodice.  French seams worked wonderfully for the skirt, but the top is a bit messy.  I would also recommend reinforcing the pleats in the front with interfacing.  The pleats on this dress seem to pull and sag since the wool has a drape.  They would be a bit more happy with support. A waist stay, bra strap guides, and raised bodice side seams are also an excellent idea also! None of which I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment