4/25/2014

One Month, One Pattern 2014 {Simplicity 1693}

image source
The month of May seems like the busiest month for sewing blogs, mainly because of the "Me Made May" pledge.  If you are new to this phrase, the idea is to wear clothes that you made (perhaps every day) for the month of May.  Most people document their outfits via some sort of electronic media source.  I love the idea of people actually wearing their makes instead of hoarding creations in closets, never to see the light of day.  I promise that I wear most of my handmade clothes on a regular basis, but I do have problems when it come to actually dressing every day.  I simply lack clothes made by hand to wear on an every day basis.  Last year, I started the Building an Every Day Outfit series, which helped me build a base for my summer wardrobe.  This May I am resurrecting the idea with Simplicity 1693.

Previously, I chose one pattern, Simplicity 2599, to be the basic pattern to sew for one month.  This pattern is simple, making it easy to reproduce without complications in a short amount of time; it also has a number of variations printed on the cover making it easy to recreate a number of different looks from the same foundation.  Posted below is the summary of creations from last year.  I still have, and still wear, all but one variation---the button back flower shirt; I ended up not liking anything about the tank top. 



Pattern 2599; Linen; Decorative Neck; Elastic Waist; Flounce Front; Button Back;
Silk Bow; Cotton RemakeDress Version 

I searched high, I searched low, I contemplated one, I contemplated all, and than picked Simplicity 1693 for the 2014 series of shirts I will make during May.  Like last years model, 1693 has simple lines, a number of variation on the cover for inspiration, only a single button for a notion, and between a yard and yard-and-a-half of fabric.  Plus, either a tank, short sleeve, or long sleeve shirt can be made, opening the door to so many possibilities.


To test the pattern, I put to use some crazy weird fabric; and by crazy weird I mean, it shriveled with the touch of a hottish iron and yet a wrinkle is difficult to release, is static infused, and see-through to boot.  I used View F which is the sleeveless version with low-high hemline.  A size 12 resulted in a 39.5 inch bust ease measurement, as indicated on the front pattern panel.  It is important to note that the neck and arm are bound with a 3/8 inch seam allowance.  The pattern calls for single fold bias tape, but I recommend making the tape with the same fabric as the shirt.  I made two inch wide bias for this muslin. The mock-up took approximately two hours to complete. The instructions are easy to understand and even direct for French seams.  This pattern is great for beginners. 

With that said, I am extending an invitations for anyone who would like to join me in the concept of One Month, One Pattern using Simplicity 1693.  I would absolutely love to see what other people are making, so send me a link, leave a comment, or email me a picture or any questions you may have about this idea for building an every day wardrobe.  Feel like sitting this one out, don't worry about it; just remember to check back every week to see what has been made. 

4 comments:

  1. I love this concept. I admit to just making whatever I feel like with no regards to what I need in my wardrobe, and this seems like a good way to counteract that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over the last month it has been hard (really hard) to stay focused on just this pattern. I ordered fabric to complete two other projects and I want to finish them! Ah well, in the end I'll have so many more option for every day that it has to be worth putting the other things on hold.?.

    I'm so glad you appreciate my idea. The key to doing this is flexibility in the pattern---i.e. a pattern that has options. Making the same pattern over and over again also gives you new insight on how you can construct something better each time. I have to say, I am learning so much with each shirt.

    Happy stitches to you,

    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too love the concept of working with one pattern to create many looks. I just don't put it into practice. I may use a pattern a few times, especially when I want something quick. But I tend to get bored so I move onto something else. And then I see projects like yours, and have a V8 moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second time using one pattern SO many times, and while it could get boring sewing the same shirt over and over again, if you allow the process to flow, you can use your own creativity to create something---without having to draft a complete pattern. That is why I love doing this project. I need more fabric!!! and time!!! though. Am I the only one who doesn't have a fabric stash? BTW, I am so excited that I was able to make a V8 moment. It's the best compliment.

      Delete