11/18/2013

PR Post of Simplicity 2246 Dress {patternreview.com}

This post was originally published on patternreview.com and on this site as Shirt Dress.
 
Fabric used: I used stretch denim with vertical strips. I thought the weight of the fabric would be nice since it didn't need to drape in any manner.

Pattern sizing/alterations: I made view A of this pattern. I based my sizing off my hip width, selecting up because I wanted a roomy fit. I cut my fabric true to the pattern with no alterations, including no alterations to skirt length. I did not want any of the pockets on the dress.

Were the instructions easy to follow? What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The instructions are really easy to follow. Like beyond. The collar is not complicated. I know some have complained about it, but it worked for me. I might have had better results because I used heavy interfacing. The sleeves are cute.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope? My dress looks very similar to the picture. The one difference is the hemline. The pattern gives two options, a straight or curved line. I chose the straight hem. For the finish, I spruced it up by doing a double stitch on the upper seam and then a single for the bottom.

Would you recommend it to others? If you are new to sewing and want to start making your own clothes, I would recommend this dress. If you sew a lot, the dress won't challenge you so you probably will be disappointed. It isn't a challenge.

Conclusion: I couldn't fall asleep one night. I started this dress at 9:00 cutting it out and by 3:00 it was finished. Will I make another one? I doubt it. I don't really like wearing shirt dresses. There is nothing wrong with the design though. One is enough for me. What I might do though is make view C or a version similar.

No comments:

Post a Comment