10/09/2013

I Did It My Way Jacket {Burda 01/2012 #118}

Sizing: 38
Fabric: 3 yds cotton ducking
Notions: 4-1 inch buttons, 4-large snaps, binding for seams
Instructions: terribly confusing

This jacket pattern has been a throne in my side since I first fell for the design. After purchasing it online, I shortly learned that I did not have the skills to tackle the task. Over the last year, I have been on a never ending quest to learn what I could to make it and I am happy to say TASK ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

After many hours spent trying to figure things out. I ditched the directions and the mantra of the jacket was born. The song “I Did It My Way” became the driving force and inspiration for completion. And I did just that. I began sewing at will and everything was done my way. From cutting the material, to assembling the pieces.
 


I learned so much during the process; the most important being with perseverance anything can be learned---even something from Burda. I also discovered the double wheeled adjustable rolling wheel which has made my life a bit easier not only for copying patterns but placing darts and other pattern markings.  
 
Let me say this: The sketch drawing included with the directions is in fact W-R-O-N-G. Even if you are an expert of all experts on sewing matters, regardless of what you do to the pieces as drawn the collar tips will not meet in the center.  
 
The front panel is confusing because two styles are included on the same pattern piece. I opted for the shorter bodice version that sits high on the chest. Other than the front panel being a little unscrupulous because of the fold, everything else works out well. I was immensely shocked by how the collar came together (after ignoring the directions and picture) because things seems to be shaped unusual at first. I had no problems with setting the sleeves and am happy with the other pieces. I honestly find the sizing to be accurate too. I did abandon the lining because the heavy cotton I used is suitable enough for a light weight spring jacket.  I also nixed making buttonholes and hand put in snaps.


 
I will be sewing the jacket again. I am trying to decide between black wool or a fun “hot” color. Maybe hot pink or a purple tone. For now though, I will use my first try for walking the dogs and wearing around the house. It is very comfortable and will be nice this fall with the shortened sleeves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment