10/28/2013

PR Post of 07-2012-116 Gathered Blouse {patternreview.com}

This post was originally published on patternreview.com and on this site as Shirt Alert Before You Start.
 
Pattern Sizing: Following the sizing chart for Burda patterns, I selected a size 38 based on bust measurement. If I would have known that a size 38 was WAY too big, I could have saved SO much time and cut the correct size, which I am guessing is a size 34. I did complete the project using the original size 38, so my review is based on the larger size. I did make alterations and you can see them here.
Fabric Used: The fabric I used is sheer, so I thought it would be a good translation of the advertised blouse. The pattern calls for a double layer, but I did not want the messiness of seeing stripes on top of stripes.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? The shirt did end up looking like the Burda picture, but only in an obscure way. The armholes were too big, the neck is a little too high, and I would look better wearing a pillowcase with holes cut for my appendages.


Were the instructions easy to follow? Surprisingly, the directions are easy to understand. Warning, not all seams need an allowance. Since edges are finished with binding, there are only a couple of sections that need it.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Like I mentioned, I first made the blouse following the pattern and directions, when those results turned out to be hideous in my opinion, I tore the side seems out and reduced by nearly three inches each.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I do not like this pattern at all. I certainly would not use this pattern exactly as printed again.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I will not sew this pattern again and I would not recommend it used by others. I really wish I had something nicer to say about the pattern.

Conclusion: Love the shirt idea, hate the execution/results. I really, really hope your blouse turns out better.

No comments:

Post a Comment