8/09/2013

Did You Say Hot? PINK? {Vogue 8886}

Pattern:  Vogue 8886
Version:  modified top and pants
Fabric:  1.5 yrds heavy cotton at 52"
Instructions:  agreeable, but watch the directions and pay attention to the pattern markings for setting sleeves
Recommend:  neither here nor there, but I am going to make another

I have to stay first, I know this ensemble is not the most flattering on me BUT this was a test run and I am so glad I did it.  I learned a lot about what I can do to improve the top for the garment I really want to create and, as always, fussed my way through the pants to get something close to acceptable and wearable (i.e., comfortably presentable) should I choose to make them again.


It is a coincidence that the fabric is the same color as the Vogue's modeled outfit.  I had some heavy cotton on-hand, close to ducking but not as heavy, and knew I probably would shy away from wearing such a color.  I do have some really nice wool that my grandmother gave to me that I want to make into a 60s style dress and think Vogue 8886 is just the thing.  I also think the wool will more closely resemble the drape of the pant suit on the envelope.   Not wanting to ruin the "real" fabric, I choose the cotton because it mimicked the weight. 

Making a muslin of a garment is great, but I truly believe that a muslin should take into account the fabric you wish to use for the final project.  I've made far too many things using the same pattern but different fabrics that resulted in different fit.  Case in point,  Simplicity 2599.  I  made eight different versions of the shirt each with a different wearability.  Same pattern, different results. 

Top Details

Sizing:  10
Notions:  invisible zipper; interfacing; hook and eye
Modification:  sleeveless

This pattern does NOT include a sleeveless option.  I made a huge mistake and did NOT pay attention to the pattern markings for where the sleeve is to start or stop.  Instead, I haphazardly did it my way which made everything wrong. W-R-O-N-G.  I am not a fan of the sleeveless version.  It may be something nice for someone else, but not me.  I really like sleeves, and when I make the final version, it WILL have them. 

The collar is really simple, surprisingly.  I used iron-on interfacing, which for the wool version I will tack-in.  The iron-on proved to be a bit floppy, I would recommend using a sturdy facing; maybe even think about doubling-up.  After playing with the finished garment, I find that the collar is starting to lack support.  Mind you, the shirt hasn't even been worn. 


Pant Details

Sizing:  12
Notions:  invisible zipper
Modification: oh so many for my big bajinga

I don't know about you, but I rarely have success with pants.  In ready-to-wear, I have a hard time with pants too.  So, did this pattern work for me.  No.  But it wasn't a total flop either.  I made so many changes that they only minutely resemble the original.  I will keep the revised pattern for a template though.  One thing I question is the placement of the zipper.  It is centered in the front, which a side zipper would make them more comfortable.  There is no waistband so the zipper pokes. Also, the short version is NOT an option according to the pattern.  I was running low on fabric so cut the pant legs off to fit the remaining fabric.  Fine enough for testing, right?
 
I really am excited to start the finale of this pattern.  Look for it soon.  I am going to make the dress version with short sleeves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment