6/05/2013

Every Day Outfit Series #8 {Simplicity 2599}



Pattern: Simplicity 2599
Sizing: 10 with C bust
Fabric: reclaimed fabric from old dress
Assembly time: 1 hr
Instructions: none used
Modification: cut shirt lining; back piece cut on fold
Recommend: yes, the modifications make this shirt even easier

Ah...here is my last Simplicity 2599 for the Every Day Outfit Series.  I made eight garments in total...seven shirts and one dress.  My last creation, believe it or not, was the easiest. 

Do you ever have an attachment to an outfit that cannot be broken?  I had this strapless dress that I absolutely adored.  I no longer wear extremely low cut dress, and over the years, it has been put and dragged out of the give away pile a number of times. Parting with the fabric was what I kept struggling with; it is a very soft, sheer cotton for both the lining and outer shell. 


With that in mind, what is a girl to do?  Have fabric, will sew of course.

Before I cut the pattern, I made sure that I had enough fabric in the skirt to accommodate the length and width of the shirt.  I then torn the dress apart, ironed the pieces flat, and prepared to cut the pattern.  Since my fabric was sheer and the dress was fully lined, I decided to use the lining for the shirt as well. By doing this, it eliminated the need for the bias stripes and facing, making this shirt pattern even easier.  Also, unlike the pattern, I cut the front and back on the fold twice; once for the outer fabric and once for the lining.  Darts were stitched for both top pieces and the side seams completed.  With right sides together, the neckline was sewn together followed by the gymnastics of stitching the armholes together. 

This shirt turned out better than I expected, and yes I have worn it and will wear it throughout the summer.  It is fantastically comfortable and a great tribute to a favorite old dress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment