5/30/2013

Every Day Outfit Series #7 {Simplicity 2599}

Pattern: Simplicity 2599
Sizing: 10 with C bust
Version: C with modification
Fabric:  2 yds rayon
Notions: hook and eye
Assembly time: 5 hr
Instructions: good
Modification: added length; binding around neck; flounces self-lined
Recommend: exactly what I was looking for

Inspired by my favorite Simplicity 2599 made to date (aka Every Day Outfit Series #3), I decided to make a dress version to use as a cover-up this summer. I am proud to say that this deviation from the pattern worked extremely well compared to other changes that turned into a total flop (aka Every Day Outfit Series #5). To make the shirt into a dress, I simply added 21 inches to the bottom of the pattern and followed the directions. Rayon is the perfect choice for this design, as it makes a light weight summer frock. It also makes lovely flounces especially if both sides are of the same fabric. Like with my first flounce try, I cut two of each and stitched right sides together. I would like to add that the facing, though it works for this shirt, is a bit cumbersome and I have found that a bias strip works just as well. Half the shirts made have the pattern facing, while the other half has a bias strip.

No comments:

Post a Comment