10/23/2012

Grieving Widow Costume {Simplicty 2354}

Pattern:  unknown, but Simplicity 2354 is similar
Fabric:  satin
Notions:  lace trim, lace by the yard, and brading
Cost:  approximately $75
Modification:  version B skirt with version A top, inserted apron into skirt panels
Recommend:  you can give it a try

Here's a costume I made oh so long ago that I remember none of the details, including the fact that I have no idea which pattern I used, how much fabric, or how much time it took me to make. What I do remember is why I made this costume and where I wore it. Like most of my costumes, they are made for murder mystery parties. My friends and I enjoy having and throwing these parties because they are rather easy. The game includes directions for everything, including what type of costume you should find. For this party, I was to play a grieving widow from the 1800s. 
 

If you are at all interested in recreating this look, Simplicity 2354 seems to be a near match, if not a perfect match. I would use the skirt from version B and the top from version A, but insert a lace paneling between skirt sections for an apron. My dress is made from black satin and three different laces. On reflection, this costume cost around $75. Even though the cost is a bit high, it is certainly not something that could be bought though. Well maybe,  but not for $75. 
 
Hope you are enjoying the Halloween festivities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment