7/28/2012

Leftover White Shirt {Simplicity 2245}



With some leftover fabric that I didn’t want to waste and HELLO who doesn’t need another white shirt, I used Simplicity's 2245 pattern by Lisette for a new shirt.    The garment comes in two different body lengths, one being a shirt and the other a dress, and two different sleeve lengths.  I chose version C, a short sleeve shirt but without cuffs.  Oh yes, the pattern does offer cuffs, but I opted out because of my fabric choice.  The fabric I used was cotton embroidered with thick flowers, adding bulk to the seams and sturdiness to the overall flow.  Because of this, I also disregarded the suggestion of interfacing for the neckline. 


 I often leave interfacing out of clothes, especially for summer frocks.  Who needs the extra insulation?  Not me.  I want to be cool.  Most of the time patterns will give a weight/thickness for interfacing; but I always consider the fabric that I am using because it does matter.  Interfacing can add unwanted structure.  For example if I applied a heavy interfacing to the neckline in this shirt it would stand out rather than lay flat against my collar bone.  Notice my version compared to the picture on the pattern.  To me you can see the difference.  My version seems to flow, while Simplicity’s is highlighted and seams firm. 



front detail of top stitching


Back to the shirt, I followed the directions step-by-step.  They are great. I still love the fact that this packet instructs you to finish the seams.  I sort of wish this was in every set of directions.   I did end up top stitching nearly all the seams.  I did this because of, again, the fabric.  Top stitching made the seams lay nicely.  One recommendation I do have it to check the ease measurements.  I wish I would have made mine a tad larger.

inside basting of collar lining

No comments:

Post a Comment