6/18/2012

Reuse That Dress {Sorbetto #2}


This old blue Banana Republic dress has never fit properly.  The waist is too big, the collar lays awkwardly, and the sleeves are too long.  That said, I love the sheer fabric with white flowers.  I thought I would put it into the donate pile, but just could not bring myself to it.  Then, last week I got the idea to re-purpose it into something I could wear.  I knew that there was plenty of fabric from the skirt area.  So, I set out for some reconstruction.

Without much of a plan, first I cut the top and sleeves of the shirt dress off to make a button down shirt.  I know this isn't that great of an accomplishment or unique or very fun idea, but it is more practical than the dress, and I could mix it with a a bunch of separates in my wardrobe.  I finished the edging with 1/8 inch hems and add an additional button.

Next, I decided that a little tank would be nice to wear. I really enjoy my Sorbetto and thought I might have enough to pull it off with ease.  Well, there wasn't quite enough but I made due with what there was by using the original hem as the tanks hem.  What is particularly lovely about this setup is the original dress include piecing and double-stitched seams.  I was able to make the seaming appear symmetrical by folding the skirt into two halves and cutting the piece using the seams as the guide. 
 

Following Collette's directions, you will get a large single front pleat.  In my version, this pleat was lost with the color and print of the fabric.  I wanted to bring it out some, so I employed some ruffled grosgrain ribbon.

The rear of the tank is plain, which is absolutely fine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment