6/10/2015

My Favorite Fleece Jacket {Simplicity 4032}

Pattern:  Simplicity 4032
Version:  D
Sizing:  14
Fabric:  double-faced fleece
Instructions:  fairly good
Modification:  no buttons; flat-felted seams
Recommend:  yes

Three years ago, I used Simplicity 4032 to make what became my favorite and most worn garment I have ever made.  After wearing it too many times to count, and a couple of paint spots, it is time for a replacement.  With the success of the first go-around, I made the exact same version as my first attempt, even omitting the buttons.  The only change that I should have made to my new version is to smooth the bust seam, as it is more plentiful than I can fill.  Additional top-stitching for felted seams creates a nice finish, and secures the seam allowance, and even though it is not included in the directions, I highly recommend the extra effort.  In addition to changing the seam finish, I changed the construction of the fluted edging to enclose the seam allowance between the edging sections. This finishes the skirting and collar with better results since the seam allowance is hidden between the layers. 



As a bonus, here's another version I created last Christmas.  This vest was made from a small wool blanket.  The pattern is a mash-up of Version C and E, with the blanket's fringe embellishing the hem and collar.  All the other seams are finished with self-bias.  I did a bit a shrinking this piece and that piece because the blanket was less than a yard long and 54-inches wide.  One thing to note, that since this fabric has no give, the bust seams are the correct size.  Did you catch that?  This pattern also works with non-fleece fabrics.

This pattern is a must for anyone wanting a snuggly jacket made in fleece or try a wool.  It is easy to make and will give your non-sewing friends something to talk about because finding the designs in the pattern are difficult in ready to wear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment