4/30/2015

The End is Here 1M1P # 8 {Grainline Archer}

Pattern:  Grainline Archer
Version:  A
Sizing:  10 to 14
Fabric:  shirting with stretch
Notions:  ten little buttons
Instructions:  lovely
Modification:  reduced length of sleeve; ribbon on front button band
Recommend:  YES!  I'd make a dozen more too.

Oh man, there was many times this month when I felt in over my head.  I cut eight Grainline Archer and sewed seven Grainline Archer button-down shirts in thirty days!  It all started with a yearly challenge that I give myself to make as many items I can from one pattern in one month.  Usually for One Month, One Pattern I pick a fairly basic pattern, but this year I chose the Grainline Archer because I needed and wanted more button down shirts to wear outside this summer to provide some protection from the sun and dirt.  While I give myself a standing ovation for following through with my goal, making so many shirts was not as creatively freeing as in the past, and I stuck mostly to the drafted pattern and instructions.  For example, on this black and white checked version, I simply added grosgrain ribbon to the button band. 



The directions provided with Grainline Archer are outstanding especially since they are supported by an online sewalong.  The drafting of the pattern is quiet exceptional too.  I did make some personal alterations, but that in no way should discount the pattern.  At about $15 for the pattern, every penny is worth it.  Though, I might not make this shirt again in the next few weeks, I suspect I will before years end.

A review has been posted on patternreview.com and I have attached the information here.  I hope you find it helpful.  There are always the other seven posts for One Month, One Pattern which are listed at the end.  I certainly learned a lot and practiced a skill that I still need to practice more---buttonholes. Even though it was a bit boring at times making the same thing over and over and over again, all the time spent (about 56 hours) was worth it.  Some of my creations I love more than others, but I will wear everyone.  And with that, this series ends with:  Thanks Grainline Studio for the fantastic pattern. 

This entry was originally posted on patternreview.com.
 
Version: View A with no pockets

Sizing:  10 to 14 in hips

I wanted an even looser fitting button-down shirt than drafted so I grated out to a size 14 at the hip from a size ten. I found the sizing comparable to a store bought shirt.

Fabric:  shirting with stretch - cotton/polyester mix

After sewing the pattern with multiple types of fabric, my favorite is cotton or a shirting mix. I also found that a cotton-back interfacing works well for the collar, cuffs, and buttonband.

Assembly time:  It takes about eight hours to complete one shirt. It is not a quick sew. Like any proper button-down, there is a large amount of edge stitching, which does take time. Basting will help catch the multiple layers of fabric around the neck and buttonbands, but slow moving will lead to success.

Were the instructions easy to follow?  A button-down shirt pattern is easily accessible; what sets this pattern apart from others are the instructions and the accompanying sewalong. Sure, a certain skill level is needed to easily navigate through the making of the shirt, but it is relatively easy for the intermediate sewist to complete. The sleeve placket is a bit tricky, but is doable when you follow the directions. The neckband is a bit sticky, but is explained beautifully with a sewalong video.

Modification:  Other than grating through the hips, the sleeve length had to be adjusted by shortening three inches. If you are concerned, I would measure the length of your arm before cutting the fabric and reduce the pattern piece were indicated. Doing this before will keep the integrity of the cuff, which has two lovely pleats.

Would you recommend it to others?  Yes. If you have not purchased an independent pattern before, this one should be it.

Would you sew it again?  Hands-down yes. I love this shirt and how both View A and B turn-out. This pattern is a wardrobe builder that is timeless and accomplishable.

One Month One Pattern 2015 Inauguration 1M1P #1
Bland Beige Experiment 1M1P #2 {Grainline Archer}
Standout Skirted Shirt 1M1P #3 {Grainline Archer} 
Calling It a Wadder 1M1P #4 {Grainline Archer}
Another Plain Jane 1M1P #5 {Grainline Archer}
Screaming Summer 1M1P #6 {Grainline Archer}
I Made My Shirt 1M1P #7 {Grainline Archer}

No comments:

Post a Comment