3/16/2015

A Pinch of Green {Simplicity 1879}

Pattern:  Simplicity 1879
Version:  A - the dress
Sizing:  14
Fabric: crepe de chine
Instructions:  use them for they contain lovely information
Modification:  French seams; grated out 1-inch at skirt seam; bias tape cut from fabric
Recommend:  yes

Originally, I bought this fabric to use as lining for a green wool dress (that is still in the pre-development stage).  Fortunately when it arrived via snail mail, I changed my mind.  The print was liked too much to be hidden on the inside of some stuffy dress.  I set it aside to make a top for Saint Patrick's Day since it has a pinch of green in the ribbon weave, but again changed my mind one last time when a nagging questions came to fruition.

Something about Simplicity 1879 has always intrigued me.  At first it was the shorts, which I made a couple of years ago with moderate success.  Over the last week though, the drop-waist dress has been on my mind.  Growing-up, this silhouette was my go-to attire for school and Sunday.  Need I say more than, "loose fitting and no waistband" to describe comfort? Those are two elements of why I love this style.  Put those with a fabric that drapes, and it only improves the wearability.  So even though Simplicity 1879 suggests cotton, this little summer dress was made from crepe de chine.


This project was a joyful breeze to create even with the raglan sleeves.  I followed the directions to the letter, except I finished all seams in the French method.  The fabric is slightly transparent so the seams needed to be presentable especially at the collar junctions.  Since French seams can take additional ease out of a garment, an inch was added at the skirt seam and graded upward to four inches above the 'shorten length line' on the pattern.  A size-up was also used to compensate for ease loss.

1) neckline; 2) inside seams of neckline and basting 
The pattern calls for store bought bias tape.  I nearly went to the store to buy some, but came up with an idea instead.  Crepe de chine is a shifty fabric that snakes all over the place when cutting small pieces, problem one.  Problem two, the bias is to be used on this dress at the top of the sleeve with no other finish; therefore, a unstable fabric would distort the neckline.  Solution, interface the bias.  It worked beautiful and a tip to keep in mind for other projects.  I was able to sew accurately, fold on a dime, and top-stitch problem free. 

inside of dress
Will I make this dress again?  Never say never, but it is highly unlikely.  There may be room for the shirt version, but that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.  Would it be a recommendation to make?  Sure, I love Lisette patterns.  The dress is easy to make, all the markings line-up, and made from the crepe de chine, it is a perfect summer frock.

2 comments:

  1. What a sweet dress! I too used to wear lots of dropped-waist dresses and am glad to see them coming back. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wore it this weekend and it was perfect for the 90 degree weather. I may have to reconsider making another one for this summer out of rayon. It was waaaay more comfortable than shorts for sure! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

      Delete