7/28/2014

Plunging into Swimwear, Yikes! {McCall's 6759}

Pattern:  McCall's 6759
Version:  C - tankini and F - waist length bikini bottoms
Sizing: 14 for top and 20 for bottom
Fabric:  swimwear lycra and lining 1 yrd (the fabric should be marked as swimwear or chlorine safe)
Notions:  elastic (marked chlorine safe)
Cost:  roughly 20 dollars
Instructions:  ok, but supplement with online resources
Modification:  none, as long as you pick the right size thanks to the stretchy material
Recommend:  yes, breakout of your box and try it


Do you ever surprise yourself with your abilities? I certainly did this last week when I accomplished something I never thought possible---swimwear. I actually made myself a swimsuit! Who does that?  It is certainly a shock to me, because I have never had the desire to make active wear. So what drove me to this milestone? I needed a new pair of plain black bikini bottoms but would rather not spend the 45 dollars for the separate. Mainly though, it was a McCall’s pattern sale accompanied with a fabric sale that I could not resist. The pattern cost a little over a dollar and the fabric, lining, and elastic brought the project cost to roughly twenty dollars. Plus, I figure another complete suit could be made from the remnants. So two suits for a low price…awesome!

McCall’s 6759 has a number of option for swim pieces; two one-piece suits, two tops, two bottoms, and a wrap skirt. Chiefly, the bottoms were the only thing I was interested in since the derriere is covered (no string bikini here) and one option has a higher waistline. I also became interested in the tankini because of the higher neckline (cleavage hidden). I do love tankinis but have always had a problem finding ones long enough in the bodice. Extending the suit bodice length is easy; for me, I would add the inches at the hemline following the side seam lines to widen at the hips. The provided instruction for assembly are enlightening; however, I watched some informative You Tube clips that helped me even greater. “www.briansews.com: Attach perfect swimwear, bathing suit, speedo, and underwear elastic” is the one I closely observed. This video provides all the basics for finishing the seams. During my own process, I did discover that removing the free-arm extension table made it easier to stitch the elastic tension.

1) front view; 2) back view

Pattern sizing was an issue. I am sure that someone has a solution for making a muslin, but I jumped-in and made my first version straight from the lycra. After some consideration I selected a size 20 for the trunks, which to be honest is a little hard to swallow because that is not my normal size. In ready-to-wear I purchase a size medium or US 10 for swim bottoms. For swim tops I usually buy a US 8. I selected a pattern size 14 for the tankini, which I should have used a size 16 to make the side seams torso center. These pattern sizes seem really large compared to what I am use to buying and making. A size 10 to a size 20—big difference. Let’s get real though, the right fits is way more important than a number. Smooth lines are much more flattering, and so if I have to make a size 20 so be it.

After experiment with the sizing, I feel I have a better grasp of ways to improve the fit and I plan on making more swimwear pieces. I really like the fact that I can make a bathing suit that, in my opinion, is modest for so much cheaper than a store bought piece. Besides that, my hand sewn pieces are just as durable as store bought; I have already put them through the test. So, with that said, I encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Perhaps McCall’s 6759 is just the pattern. Mastering this simple pattern gave me confidence that I can make more complicated swimwear and tackle projects that I never thought I could sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment