6/23/2014

Benifits of Sewing {stitching tip}

Being able to sew opens up doors.  Of course you can make you own outfits from top to bottom, but sewing also enables you to alter store bought clothes to fit your body.  And while I can certainly sew, not all my clothes are handmade.  I buy clothes from stores!  Gasp.  I like CERTAIN things when I see them.  If something catches me eye, I evaluate for uniqueness and pose the question, "Can I make that?" Most of the time this question is answered with a yes, and so I put the item back, but sometimes I reply that there is no way I could execute the project by myself.




Here is a dress that, yes I could easily make the dress silhouette, but where is a girl to find the fabric?  The fabric makes the dress; without it, it is just a simple tunic.  Unfortunately, I did drag my feet and by the time I got around to buying it, the hundred dollar dress was marked down to ten dollars in four sizes too big.  I bought it anyways knowing that I could alter it to my correct size. 


I must say, I successfully downsized this dress.  It took me longer to alter than to make a new dress from scratch.  The process is worth the work though.  While taking this dress apart, I learned a few new things.  This silk dress is lined in a chiffon slip that is finished with pin-tucks and lace; which I must remember to finish things in a more creative way since I love details. The construction of the sleeve to lining technique brought me to the notion of stabilizing the under portion of the arm for delicate fabrics and basting the lining to the side seam.  These procedures improve the lay of the fabric and finishing around the arm.

How do you decided what to make or buy?  I am curious to know if people who are able and willing to sew abide by the same rule.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this wonderful idea. I need to start searching the clearance racks at the spendy stores!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it again this weekend. I found a jacket that I think is the bee's knee; but unlike this dress it's too small through the elbow. I love being able to sew. When I saw it, I grabbed it and ran to the dressing room to checkout the seam allowance so I didn't look that crazy. Since the sleeve is completed with two pieces, there's over an inch of fabric to enlarge. Woohoo!

      Delete