3/27/2014

Sparklen' Skirt {Simplicity 4044}


Pattern:  Simplicity 4044
Version:  C - skirt
Sizing:  12
Fabric:  sequin mesh; polyester crepe
Notions:  invisible zipper; hook and eye
Assembly time:  forever - cut away sequins from seam lines and then reapplied where needed
Instructions:  not necessary
Modification:  oh yeah...

I saw a picture of a $2500 sequin maxi-skirt.  NO, that is not a typo; that is the asking price.  And while the price tag is well beyond any logic, I still really liked it and really wanted it.  Even to this day. Thank goodness, though, that I can sew, because in this instance, I was able to create something that was totally unpractical, better for my body shape, and waaaay cheaper.
 

I was able to keep the cost down, because I had a fare amount of sequin mesh on hand from another project.  For the lining, since mesh is shear, I opted for black crepe which is easy enough to obtain and inexpensive to boot.  I struggled with which pattern to use though, because I knew I needed something simple with minimal seam lines.  I searched the web, but settled on a pattern in my stash.  Simplicity 4044 may seem like it is a strange choice, mainly because it has a scalloped waistline.  Oh, and there is the fact that there is a center front seam, but whatever.  These details can be easily erased by cutting the front panel on the fold.  4044 works for my design because of its simplicity, length, lack of waistband, and short darts. 

Since, I am not a particular fan of floor length skirts on myself, I originally cut the skirt as the pattern directed, but ended up taking six inches off the length.  I also removed all the sequins that fell in the seam allowance, along the dart lines, and skirt bottom edging.  Removing the sequins helps the fabric lay flat and looks more flattering than a sewn through circle.  If you plan on doing this, be prepared to spend a lot of time on sequin removal and reapplying sequins in bare spots. 

In addition to spending a large amount of time on the placement of the sequins, I also spent time finishing the inside of the skirt.  The mesh can be a bit itchy and, even though I did try really hard to remove all the cut plastic from the sequins, there is still residual left that, let's face, can ruin a nylon stocking and be poky on the bare skin.  A simulated French seam was the solution to this problem.  I stitched both layers, the mesh and crepe, together then folded the crepe towards each other, incasing the mesh between the layers, then edge stitch the folded edge.


Straightening the waistline meant the facing included in the pattern was not drafted correctly.  Instead, I used a on-grain strip, bond the cut line, and slip-stitched it towards the inside of the skirt.  Surprisingly, an invisible zipper was used despite the fabric texture; this was achieved by removing the extra sequins. 

Without a doubt, I like the skirt that I made better than the $2500 one!  Not only is this one a fraction of the cost---roughly $20--it is much more me.  Now, just where do you wear all these sparkles?

No comments:

Post a Comment