12/21/2012

It's All About the Buttonholes {Vogue 8048}

Pattern: Vogue 8048
Version:  View A
Sizing:  38
Fabric: wool with cotton shirting for lining
Notions: 8 ½” buttons
Assembly time: 3 hrs plus 6 hrs for the fancy buttonholes
Instructions:  Swell, no really I found them useful. 
Modification: bound buttonholes
Recommend: yes

Wow, there are not a lot of male patterns out there so when I set out to make something special for the man in my life, I settled for this vest. It was the right decision because it is perfectly his style and was easily fitted to his body. The fabric is 100% wool and had to be cut creatively from the leftovers of a dress I made previously. I followed the grainline printed on the pattern for the front panels, which if I use plaid in the future I will ignore because the stripes ended up on the diagonal while the rear panel is perpendicular. Since I was able to tailor the vest, I omitted the back belting.



For me, this project was all about the buttonholes. Don’t feel like making fancy ones, than don’t. The directions call for standard machine made holes, and let’s face it they function just as well. With that said however, bound holes take this project up a notch from the standard under a blazer garment to a standalone outfit. I have been trying to master this technique. I still have a ways to go, but with every project I am improving. I have really enjoyed looking at other people’s ideas and so I’ve included a little overview of what is working for me.


One of the most interesting things I have found is a 1930s booklet that introduced me to the idea of using a single piece of fabric for setting up the bindings instead of individually cutting fabric per hole.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, your vest looks amazing. I have never made anything for my husband and this is my first project for him. I would never have thought of doing the welts for the button holes, but they look great.
    I bought this pattern just last week and somehow between cutting out the pattern and cutting out the material I have lost piece 8, the welts. From looking through your blog, it looks as though I could just make something up for the pocket welts, is this true? I've never done these kinds of pockets before. In fact if there is anything on that pattern piece that I need to know could you let me know, or actually even the dimensions so I know what to try and play with? Cheers, Ttat would be fantastic.
    Cheers again for your tutorial, I'm going to try and give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wink, wink...patterns are just a starting point for making your own garments right? So sure, you can use the ideas from a bound button hole to make a welted pocket. However if it was me, I would just put in a fake pocket flap. The true Vogue pattern piece measures 1.75 inches by 3.5 inches if that helps. Notice, I didn't even attempt that part of the project. I am positive which ever method you choose it will turn out great. Thanks for the confidence you have in my own project. It really did look sharp when it was finally opened as a gift last year for Christmas. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete