10/05/2012

PR Post of Simplicity 2209 {patternreview.com}

This review was orignally published on patternreview.com and on this site as Red Dress.
 
Pattern Sizing: I did cut the pattern at a size 16. For dresses off the rack of a similar style I would typically buy a size 8/10. I recommend reading the ease marking included on the pieces. The next time I will cut to a size 14.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, the dress did look like the envelope. Even with the alterations I made to the bodice (adding lining) the style was kept.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions are very easy to follow. The only issue I had was folding the front darting. I'm not certain that all the marks are included on the pattern.
 


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? There really isn't one thing that I disliked about the dress pattern. I will probably make little changes or variations the next time I use the design such as making it shorter, lowering the neck line, and changing the rear darts of the skirt to match the rear darts of the bodice. I love the different arrangement for the front darts. I think it is the perfect A-line cut that isn't too tight or too much fabric.

Fabric Used: Cotton broadcloth, prewashed to avoid shrinkage. Prewashing did have an effect on cutting the pattern out. The suggested layout included in the directions wasn't helpful.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made a few deviations from the directions. First was to add a lining to the bodice. I did this by cutting two full bodices of the same fabric. I also used an invisible zipper which I think adds to the quality and lay of the dress. I did change the hemming method, only because of personal preference.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I plan on sewing this dress multiple times. It is very comfortable and super easy to make. The dress design is super cute besides that, and I have seen similar designs in popular clothing stores this spring.

Conclusion: If you are at all thinking you might want to sew this dress, do! It is great and I really think everyone will enjoy the experience of both making and wearing it. The envelope pictures do not do it justice at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment